Here are some Tips you can use to REDUCE YOUR ENERGY BILL AND SAVE MONEY!!!
1. Turn down your thermostat to 68° or lower. For every degree you lower your heat in the 60°-70° range, you’ll save up to 5% on heating costs.
2. Set the thermostat back to 55° when leaving home for an extended time. Please note that heat pumps should only be set back 2° to prevent unneeded use of backup strip heating, which carries higher costs.
3. Check air filters. Dirty air filters increase your energy usage and can also damage your heating. Be sure to use filters approved for your specific system.
4. Caulk around windows and replace old weather stripping around doors to keep the cold air out.
5. Reduce col-air drafts around windows – typically seen in older homes-by using heavy-duty, clear plastic sheets or tape clear plastic film inside your windows. Ensure the plastic is sealed tightly to reduce cold-air drafts.
6. Close your fireplace damper when not in use.
7. Schedule service for your heating system, and ask what maintenance is required to keep it running optimally. Keep up with maintenance milestones.
8. Open curtains on your south-facing windows on sunny days to naturally heat your home with sunlight. Close the curtains at night to reduce any chill or drafts.
You can find additional energy-saving suggestions by visiting TVA’s Energy Right Solutions website at http://www.energyright.com.